Monday, July 19, 2010

Flour Tortillas

YUM.

My husband is Mexican. That means, that if I cook Mexican food, it's GOT to be real. And good. Because his mama is a great cook. So, he's got high standards. I was happy, happy, happy that this was a WIN recipe.

2 cups flour (you can use half white half whole wheat, if you'd like!)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (vegetable oil, or lard)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup warm water or milk (may possibly need to add more, up to 3/4 cup)

Directions:

Combine dry ingredients. Cut in the shortening (I use my hands, it's easier to get a good feel for how it's supposed to look). Your mixture should resemble small crumbs. Add warm water (I always boil mine and let it cool some), until you get a good nonsticky dough (it will feel a little greasy). Let it rest around 30 minutes, then form into 6-10 balls. Let it rest again 20-30 minutes. Warm a comal (or good frying pan if you don't have a comal) on med/high heat. Roll out your tortilla into a circle (or something resembling a circle, we don't do perfection here), and throw it on the well heated pan. Cook 20-30 seconds per side. When it starts to bubble, it's a good indication it's ready to flip. You want some brown spots. If you over cook, the tortilla will be hard.

Put in a tortilla warmer, or a warm oven. Should keep for a few days. I also make the dough and make the balls and store them raw in my fridge for a day or two, cooking as necessary.

No comments: